Howard County SECAC Agenda
March 11, 2020 General Meeting 7:00pm-9:00pm
Wilde Lake Middle School Cafeteria
ORDER OF BUSINESS
Call to Order - 7:11pm
Welcome and Introductions
Purpose and Vision
The Howard County Special Education Citizens Advisory Committee (SECAC) advises the school system on the needs of students with disabilities. We collaborate with other community disability advocacy groups to improve special education and the lives of our students in Howard County, MD.
Approval of Minutes
Action Required: Motion to approve minutes. See attached minutes - Minutes approved
Approval of SECAC By Laws - approved 9-0. SECAC By Laws 2020 Revised
Parent Survey Results: Dr. Terri Savage - see attached PDF with slides and notes at the bottom of the page.
Co-Chair- Special Ed Forum, COPAA, 504 Presentation
- Special Ed Forum - Board of Education Candidate Forum. March 24th 7-9pm at HCC, Duncan Hall room DH100. At least one candidate from every district has signed up to come. There are pre-submitted questions. There will be no panel. It will be “speed” dating style.
- COPAA Seat 1.0 Training starts in August. SECAC has enough money to send two parents to this training. The member price is $425. Interested parents should email firstname.lastname@example.org if they are interested. First come first serve. Parents will be asked to present about their experience at a 2020-2021 SECAC meeting.
- April meeting will have a presentation about 504 plans. Sally Dorman from HCPSS.
- Decoding Dyslexia Howard County hosting an IEP workshop on March 25th at 6:30. Elkridge Library.
- March 26th at the HCPSS Central Office - room ML2 - SECAC Awards Planning.
Vice Chair - Awards Night
- May 6th from 7-9pm at Mt. Hebron. All nominees will be recognized at the event. Nominate teachers and staff here: https://forms.gle/DD6phamcmPhGxzU79 Nominations will be closed April 3rd.
- Member at Large
- Past Chair
Department of Special Education Reports
Executive Director and staff
- Worked with an HCAS grant to install communication boards at playgrounds. Will be 8 elementary schools with regional programs or many students with communication devices. Duckett’s Lane, Rockburn, Centennial, Cedar Lane, Pointer’s Run, Illchester, Bellow Springs. Installation in the spring.
- There will be training for families with children with communication devices. The first training will be in April.
- Family Support
Board of Education Reports
- March 12th budget hearing canceled due to COVID-19. Email testimony to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- The engineering group from Dunloggin MS that presented last meeting also presented to Parks and Rec. They loved the presentation. The group will be at the ribbon cutting for Blandair Park with their presentation.
- County Executive will send the budget to the County Council and then there will be a public hearing on April 22nd.
- Cedar Lane School Walk for the Stars event is May 2nd.
Next Meeting Dates
- April 15, 2020 - 504 Presentation, May 13, 2020, June 10, 2020
Adjournment - 8:15pm